15 September 2010

Down the Ladder

Just when I thought that I knew what I was doing, fate had another surprise in store for me. Like a dream, this job offer came with less reponsibility and no subordinate, but with a significantly higher pay. However, lesson learned ~ Being Number 2 is no easier than being Number 1. In some ways, it is harder as you have less control and little flexibility to move things around, not to mention, a narrow scope of work. It has come down to a production line, the focus is on churning out outputs - volume and quality. No more strategising, creative thinking and steering.

Such rigidity tires me out and robs me of crucial energy for fiction writing. But, to answer a very popular question, 'why don't you just pack up and leave?' Well, this is not the worst that I've been through. I don't want to just flee, but rather, take my time to explore and plan my next move carefully. What I do know, I am now ready to go back to being Number 1. I am relief to learn that my leadership skills and values are not as un-developed as I thought.

5 comments:

  1. Hi White Melur, just take things one step at a time....sometimes jumping ship might land in shallow or deep waters.
    However, I'm sure you'll be fine, as its you that makes the job, not the job make you....

    Wishing you all the best, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
    Best wishes, you keep a song in your heart, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee,
    Thanks for your soothing, poetic words, especially in the phrase below:

    "...its you that makes the job, not the job make you...."

    Never heard anyone put it that way before. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. for those people who prefer to work alone single-handedly, this may sounds interesting. no need to crack your head to look after your subordinate.

    tapi, tiba time cuti raya...and no one else to cover you, pun pening jugak.

    maybe you can perform solat istikharah to ask for guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi White Melur, remember, behind every dark cloud, there's a silver lining.
    And even the Queen of flowers has thorns....thus our lives.
    You know, there have been days when I felt like giving up my job, then I think of the thousands who'll sell their neneks to get my job, I go on, ha ha.
    Besides, we have to eat, kan?

    Talking about eating, guess who is coming for dinner here, in Toronto?
    Drop by, see who....
    Have a pleasant weekend, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Synap,
    Yeah, think I'll do istiqarah. InsyaAllah:)

    Lee,
    hahha!!! Must be some job for people to sell their nenek, LOL! Shall drop by again:)

    ReplyDelete